Wednesday, March 5, 2008

True or False???

True or False? April has cancer.....
FALSE!!!! That's right, you can now do the Tiger Woods fist pump! (3/26/08 - fist pump is retracted! This blog is old, read the new ones...)

Through hundreds of prayer and petitions before our Lord, He has spared me from cancer and allowed a rare benign tumor to form in my muscle. It's called an intramuscular myxoma (pronounced "mix-oma"). Dr. Casas and 15 other surgeons agreed that it is not malignant. At today's appointment, Dr. C went over everything and explained all the reasoning for his diagnosis. So at 22, I'm still cancer free!

PRAISE THE LORD!! Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the prayers that have been lifted up over the past week. What a blessing it has been to be at complete peace, without anxiety or fear this past week. The Lord truly is our comfort, security, and shield.

New tumor name: Sir. Mix-Alot (a little play off the 'myxoma' word)

TREATMENT: Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, March 18 at 7:15am. Like I mentioned in previous blogs, the treatment for this tumor will be an open incisional biopsy. Dr. C will make a 3-4" incision in the front of my leg (where the tumor is) and than cut the tumor out by removing the surrounding muscle and fat. It should only be a day surgery, followed by 10 days of bed rest. He said it should take about 6-7 months to totally re-strenghen the muscles. I think there will be some physical therapy, but I don't know the details yet.

After the tumor is removed they are going to slice and dice it up and look at all the cells to make sure there is no cancer or crazy disease in there.

Tess (my roommate) says my scar will be my new flare. I'm not too pumped about the scar, but it should make for a good conversation and testimony of how great our God is!

1 comment:

alicia hart said...

i am so happy for you and your cancer-free self april!!